The East Boston Immigration Station: A History

The East Boston Immigration Station: A History, 2012. From the history: The East Boston Immigration Station (Immigration Station) at 287 Marginal St. was the only federally- constructed, purpose-built immigration facility in Boston’s long history of accepting new arrivals to the United States. Built in 1920, well after the highest number of immigrants had come through the Port of Boston, it functioned for 34 years as a detention center for the United States Immigration Service in Boston. Its sole function, like other federal detention centers in key United States ports of entry, was to provide a central location for further examination of incoming immigrants who had paper work which was not in order or were suspected of having a contagious disease.”