The Vilna Shul
The Vilna Shul is the last immigrant-era synagogue building that exists in downtown Boston. It currently operates as a cultural center celebrating Jewish heritage and its intersection with other cultures and communities in the city. In 1893, Jewish immigrants from Vilna Gubernia—the province encompassing the present-day Lithuanian capital of Vilnius—formed a new American community on the north slope of Beacon Hill in Boston’s West End. On December 11, 1919, they laid the cornerstone for the Vilna Shul at 18 Phillips Street.